Supplementary Materials

While the content in Michigan Virtual is designed to promote student learning, there are instances within the online classroom where I have found that supplementary content is necessary. Especially when it comes to English!

English can be very tricky for some students because of all of the various rules of grammar and mechanics. I always tell them that I’ve been studying and teaching it for quite some time now, but even I have to look things up every once in a while. I think it is unfair to expect students to be learning all of the grammatical and mechanical rules while also working to improve their reading comprehension and writing techniques. Especially for those students who struggle with English. This is why when I taught f2f, I gave all my students a “cheat book” that they could use. It held all of the basics that they should know or would learn. They could use this whenever they needed.

This is why I have started posting PDFs about comma rules, paragraph structure, in-text citations, etc. Yes, students can always search the internet in all its vastness, however, I’ve found that often times, the internet can be a black hole for students. There are so many resources, not all of them reliable or understandable, that may guide the students in the wrong direction. The internet also has that magical ability to suck you into a downward spiral of procrastination. When searching for information, they might decide to just check their Facebook page a second while the other page loads. Twenty-three videos and a tired thumb from scrolling, the student sees a meme that reminds them of the comma rules that they were searching for originally and gets them back on track.

If these resources are provided to the student in Blackboard, the chances of the student needed to search the internet for help diminishes. They get to stay on track and already know where to find useful information, ultimately saving them time.

To encourage students to use these resources, I will often refer to them in my feedback. For example, “Remember to cite this quote. Refer back to the document I shared in the announcements to help you with this.” I think the reminders help keep the resources fresh in the students’ minds, as well as increases their chances of using the resources I have provided.

With the start of the new term quickly approaching, I would like to create a folder in Blackboard with all of these extra resources. Currently, I simply post them to Blackboard in the announcements. I think this makes it more difficult for the students to find what they need as they have to scroll back through all of the announcements.

I would also like to find videos for various topics that are discussed or stories that are read in my courses. I have found a few here and there, but the big problem becomes finding videos that are, of course, appropriate and keep the students’ interest. Finding videos that are well done can be near impossible at times. Having been a student who loves English, but wanted to gouge my eyes out due to pure boredom during the many videos I watched in high school, I would really like to avoid making my students feel that way. I believe that more and more students dislike reading and writing these days, and having them watch those ridiculously boring videos isn’t going to help gain interest in the subject! Eliminating some of the frustrations they may have about a certain topic by providing additional resources may help some students develop more of an appreciation for reading and writing.

While I have a lot of resources from my f2f years, I am always looking for new ones. As my job as an iEducator continues, I hope to develop a bigger and better stash. After all, I can’t expect my students to learn and appreciate our lovely English language on their own!

3 thoughts on “Supplementary Materials”

1. Caitlin, I also tend to get lost in the black hole of the internet! Building that high-quality toolbox of resources does take time. You might check out some Twitter or Facebook groups for English teachers — the PLCs that I follow on social media are the best at sharing great tools, lessons, and supplementals.

2. Caitlin,
    I am a grammar NERD and love learning all of the rules. I think it is important to keep a repertoire of resources, but important to organize those resources (both for yourself and for students). I used to have a boss who literally had a spreadsheet to organize his spreadsheets. I encourage you to keep updating your resources, but see if you can tag them for key words so you don’t ever reinvent the wheel or have a single resource in several places for future reference!

Liz

3. Building your toolbox may take less time than you think! There are so many great things out there, even random social media posts are often great examples for grammar concepts (and usually add humor!). I like to copy and paste the links to resources right into my grading repositories. I am always sure to give them a label that is general enough to search, but gives a clear indication of what the link is. I can’t tell you how many times I have searched my grading docs for the word “conclusion” or “comma”! 🙂